The Table Series is virtual in 2020!
This Series gives members the opportunity to work with a dramaturg on their new play, experience it read by our Actor’s Ensemble with a moderated feedback session afterward. In addition, this program gives attending WTP members the unique opportunity to get inside the development process by welcoming them into a rehearsal.
2020 Virtual Table Series
JULY 29: Copper Angel By Emily McClain, Dramaturgy by Rebekah Suellau
AUGUST 25: Chorus of Bears by Lucy Smith, Dramaturgy By Amber Bradshaw
SEPT 29: Red Summer by Theroun D’Arcy Patterson, Dramaturgy by Addae Moon
DEC 1: Harina Pan by Sofia Palmero, Dramaturgy by Kathryn de La Rosa
2019 Table Series
at the Synchronicity Annex
OCT 1: Maybe Politics Are Over by Sloka Krishnan, Dramaturgy by Amber Bradshaw
NOV 12: Tragedy at 236 Tigerlily by Greg Carraway, Dramaturgy by Rebekah Suellau
DEC 9: Circumschism by Roger Stroud, Dramaturgy by Mira Hirsch
The Table Series does not culminate in a finished product, but in a new stage of process: opening up the text to artists with fresh perspectives and the questions of a professional cast. We are excited to offer our members exclusive access into what actually happens within WTP’s new play development spaces.
Please note: this is a development opportunity, not a showcase for a finished product.
Submissions DEADLINE 2021: TBA
Receipt of submission will be electronically acknowledged. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. WTP is committed to conducting up to three Table Series readings per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).
- Plays must be complete (in the case that the script is not complete, submit an outline of a full draft)
- Synopsis and Bio (100 words or less).
- Playwrights must use the Playwright’s Center for a script formatting reference: https://pwcenter.org/playwriting-toolkit/how-format-your-script.
Expectations of the playwright:
- This is a one night event. The actors and dramaturg will have the opportunity to review the script in advance, but no rehearsals will be conducted. The play will be read at a table with the dramaturg and playwright.
- Rehearsal time commitment for all artists involved: 5-6 hours.
- Playwrights must still be a member in good standing by the date of the event.
- Playwright agrees to cooperate and consider the input from the entire artistic team — which will include Dramaturg and Actors provided and cast by WTP.
- Playwright will be expected to provide electronic scripts to the the artistic team at least a week in advance.
- Playwright understands that this is a closed reading series. Only WTP members and selected guests of the playwright will be invited.
- Playwright must be willing to double cast where suitable. Playwright will be encouraged to provide casting options, but final casting will be the decision of WTP’s artistic team.
What WTP will provide:
- The funding for all artistic personnel — actors, playwright and dramaturg.
- Hard copies of the script will be provided to the artistic team.
- Space for the table reading to take place.
- A dramaturg to conduct a feedback session and manage the evening.
2018 Table Series
August 21: The Virgin Wild by Daniel Glenn Dramaturgy by Rebekah Suellau at The Windmill Arts Center
September 23: Son of the Father by Ian Gibson Dramaturgy by Mia Kristin Smith at Actor’s Express
February 11: The Rake’s Progress by Hank Kimmel Dramaturgy by Celise Kalke at Synchronicity