This Series gives members the opportunity to work with a dramaturg on their new play, experience it read by our Actor’s Ensemble with a moderated feedback session afterward. In addition, this program gives attending WTP members the unique opportunity to get inside the development process by welcoming them into an open table-work rehearsal.
The Table Series does not culminate in a finished product, but in a new stage of process: opening up the text to artists with fresh perspectives and the questions of a professional cast. While the evening will include a table reading of the play, each Table Series event will be organized based on the needs of the play and playwright and the style of the dramaturg leading the process. We are excited to offer our members this exclusive access to what actually happens within new play development spaces. This is a unique lens into what we do. How does WTP create the proper development vessel for the playwright and their supporting artists to excel? This series is an integral part of the process.
Attendance open to WTP Members and Playwrights’ Guests Only.
Receipt of submission will be electronically acknowledged. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. WTP is committed to conducting up to three Table Series readings per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).
DEADLINE 2019: MARCH
- Plays must be complete.
- Synopsis and Bio (100 words or less).
- Playwrights must use the Playwright’s Center for a script formatting reference: https://pwcenter.org/playwriting-toolkit/how-format-your-script.
Expectations of the playwright:
- This is a cold reading series. The actors and dramaturg will have the opportunity to review the script in advance, but no rehearsals will be conducted. The play will be read at a table with the dramaturg and playwright.
- Rehearsal time commitment for all artists involved: 5-6 hours.
- Playwrights must still be a member in good standing by the date of the event.
- Playwright agrees to cooperate and consider the input from the entire artistic team — which will include Dramaturg and Actors provided and cast by WTP.
- Playwright will be expected to provide electronic scripts to the the artistic team at least a week in advance.
- Playwright must provide hard copies of the script (single-sided) to the artistic team.
- Playwright understands that this is a closed reading series. Only WTP members and selected guests of the playwright will be invited.
- Playwright must be willing to double cast where suitable. Playwright will be encouraged to provide casting options, but final casting will be the decision of WTP’s artistic team.
What WTP will provide:
- The funding for all artistic personnel — actors and dramaturg. A stage manager may be provided at the option of WTP.
- Space for the table reading to take place.
- A dramaturg to conduct a feedback session and manage the evening.