Launched in 2009 by Jill Patrick (Managing Artistic Director of WTP from 2006-2016), the Ethel Woolson Lab is an annual, competitive workshop series named in honor of supporter Gayle Austin’s mother, who has been a generous benefactor of WTP both then and now.. Each year, up to three plays by WTP member playwrights are selected for the EWL. Each recipient is given a 25-hour developmental workshop, culminating in a rehearsed, staged reading for the public.
Each selected playwright is partnered with a support team of artists designed for the needs of the play. All readings take place in the Alliance theatre 3rd Floor Black Box.
- You must be a member of Working Title Playwrights.
- You must submit a full-length play.
- If you wish to submit an early or incomplete draft, please submit at least 50 pages of dialogue and an outline of the complete play.
- You must be willing to collaborate with a team of artists and challenge yourself.
- You must have the ability to take off work the week of the lab to focus entirely re-writes.
- Prepare an Artist Statement. Be truthful about your intent.
- If there are questions about the criteria, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have been a recipient of the lab this year, you may not apply for the 2017 season. You will be eligible to apply again for the 2018 season.
PLEASE SUBMIT BLIND
Digital submission documents to be sent to managing@workingtitleplaywrights in Word or PDF with the subject: WTP Ethel Woolson Lab Submission.TITLE with the following documents attached:
- Artist Statement (for example: goals for script development, how far along is your script, how may a dramaturg help you with this project, have you had experience working with one?, do have particular needs in regards to this project?)
- Please submit scripts in BLIND copy with a separate title page indicating playwright name and contact information (or if your script is not complete, submit 50 pages of dialogue with a detailed outline including character breakdowns).
THE CLUB by Sonhara Eastman
March 26, 7:30pm
RIDING BICYCLES IN THE RAIN by Erin Considine
August 27, 7:30pm
MEDICA by Daryl Lisa Fazio
November 19, 7:30pm
When Things Are Lost by Derek Dixon
Confessions of a Hit Man by Henry W. Kimmel
Time Flies by Sherry Camp Paulsen
- Keester by Pamela Turner
- In the Garden by Amina S. McIntyre
- The Nightingale Rose or The Bitch of Balaclava by Patricia Henritze
- The Cannibals by Theroun D’Arcy Patterson
- Hush Now by Penny Micklebury
- Empty Rooms by Annie Harrison Elliott
- Death and Interior Decoration by Hilary Rogers King
- The Golden Glow Tea Room by Robin Burke
- Legacy by Barbara and Carlton Molette
- The Liar’s Child by Sharon Mathis
- Orbital Debris by Vynnie Meli
- Breathe Like a Bandage by Neeley Gossett
- American Dismantle by Theroun D’Arcy Patterson
- The Jew Catcher by David L. Fisher
- Anthony + Cleopatra UNDONE by Patricia Henritze
- Evelyn in Purgatory by Topher Payne
- The Birdwatcher by Johnny Drago
- Ladies in Waiting by Sherry Camp Paulsen
- Divided Among Themselves by Henry W. Kimmel
Pictured in banner: Amber Bradshaw, Tisha Whitaker, Mia Kristin Smith, Jacob McGee and Chad Martin rehearsing for an Ethel Woolson Lab reading of Daryl Lisa Fazio’s MEDICA. Photo credit: Danyale Taylor.