Members that would like to see a new full-length play on its feet may submit to the Series for the opportunity to have a rehearsed reading of their play. WTP provides a professional team of artists, theatre space and marketing support.
See your brand-spankin’ new play on it’s feet for the first time.
The First Light Series offers playwrights the opportunity to see a public reading of their new play complete with marketing, programs and a feedback session. There is no longer a fee for this Series.
Attendance open to the Public.
Receipt of submission will be electronically acknowledged. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. WTP is committed to conducting up to three First Light readings per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).
DEADLINE 2018: March 26th
- Plays must be complete – and will be reviewed and chosen by a panel of no less than three professional theatre artists.
- Synopsis (100 words or less), Bio (100 words or less) and headshot.
- Playwrights must use the Playwright’s Center for a script formatting reference: https://pwcenter.org/playwriting-toolkit/how-format-your-script.
Expectations of Playwright:
- Rehearsal time commitment for all artists involved: 10 hours. This includes one 5-6 hour rehearsal and 4-5 hours for the reading. Please note: this does not include time spent by the playwright on re-writes.
- Playwrights must still be a member in good standing by the date of the event (if membership has lapsed, playwright must renew).
- Playwright agrees to cooperate and consider the input from the entire artistic team — which will include Dramaturg, Director, Stage Manager and Actors provided and cast by WTP.
- Playwright will be encouraged to do re-writes before the rehearsal.
- Playwright may be encouraged to have an early read-through, at the directors discretion, that is not included in the time commitment stated above.
- Playwright will be expected to provide electronic scripts to the the artistic team at least a week in advance.
- Playwright must provide hard copies of the script (single-sided) to the artistic team at the first rehearsal.
- Playwright must be willing to double cast where suitable. Playwright will be encouraged to provide casting options, but final casting will be the decision of WTP’s artistic team.
What WTP will provide:
- Marketing via email and Facebook
- Graphics and playbill
- The funding for all artistic personnel
- Space for the reading to take place
- A dramaturg or director to conduct feedback session
Our generous First Light Series theatre partners include Actor’s Express, Stage Door Players, Horizon Theatre Company, Synchronicity Theatre, Out Front Theatre Company, the Alliance Theatre and Aurora Theatre. We are grateful for their support!
2017 First Light Series Plays
OLD FORWARD by Liz Dooley at Out Front Theatre Company
THAT WHAT BURIED by Amina McIntyre at the Alliance Theatre
RED SNOW by Derek Dixon at Out Front Theatre Company
2016 First Light Series Plays
MEDUSA IN YOU by Valetta Anderson at the Alliance Theatre
RIGHT by Nedra Pezold Roberts at Synchronicity Theatre
THE RUT by Theroun D’Arcy Patterson at the Alliance Theatre
[SHAKESPEARE REFERENCE] by Paul Donnelly at Stage Door Players
THE MEANTIME by Jill Patrick at Actor’s Express
ANOTHER MOTHER by G.M. Lupo at Horizon Theatre Company